Here at Pure Planet Club we are passionate about reducing deforestation. The fact that healthy trees are getting cut down every day unnecessarily breaks our hearts as our Earth desperately needs all the trees we have left. Forests are referred to as the lungs of the earth, the trees are what we need to breathe. Without trees life on this planet cannot be sustained. The first step to making change is education. Here we have a list of 10 facts you may not know about deforestation.
- Deforestation is the permanent destruction of forests to clear the trees away for timber, charcoal and other uses of the land such as farming, urbanisation and plantations.
- Deforestation is mostly concentrated in tropical rainforests with over half of the world’s tropical forests being destroyed already. That’s 50% of all the Earth’s forests completely abolished.
- Deforestation destroys the habitats of many animals with an average of 50,000 species becoming extinct each year. 70% of the Earth’s animals and plants live in our forests. It is estimated that 10% of the world’s species will die out within the next 25 years.
- Deforestation is a major cause of global warming and key driver of climate change with an estimated 15% of all greenhouse gas emissions coming from deforestation alone.
- 13 million hectares of forests are converted to agricultural land every year in South America, Africa and South-East Asia. Animal agriculture is the number one cause of greenhouse gas emissions in the world. Not only are we destroying our source of oxygen, we are tainting it simultaneously.
- Most of the world’s remaining indigenous forests are located in Canada, Alaska, Russia and the North-Western Amazon Basin.
- Rainforests are home to over 100 plants that are used for natural medicinal remedies. With these forests being destroyed so rapidly, it is only a matter of time before we lose some our most precious resources.
- 27,000 trees are cut down every day just to manufacture toilet paper. That’s 9 million trees a year just for a product that can be easily replaced with a more sustainable option.
- 6 billion human beings directly rely on our forests for food, shelter, fresh water, clothing and traditional medicine.
- If the current rate of deforestation continues, in less than 100 years every rainforest on Earth will be destroyed.
It’s time to take these facts into account and think seriously about what impact you can have as an individual. If every human on Earth decided to be that person who believes that one person can make a difference, we will be live in a more harmonious place.
It can be as simple as thinking about the products you use and buy prior to purchasing. Do trees get cut down to make this? Will our forests be destroyed in order to have this item made? Shop tree-free.